March 17, 2015 (SPRINGFIELD, Ill.) – H. D. Smith, the largest independent wholesaler in the U.S. and a leading pharmaceutical brand support company, today announced changes to its executive leadership structure, to capitalize on its growth momentum and continue to pursue a long-term vision as an integrated provider of health products, solutions and services through strong performance, acquisitions, and alliances with healthcare innovators. H. D. Smith has an established presence in the health institution, pharmacy and specialty medicine sectors, and is working with most of the nation’s drug innovators and providers of cost-effective medicine.
“The leadership and structure promotions we announce today enable us to dedicate greater focus to creating value for our customers and their patients, and to remain strong, successful and independent,” said Dale Smith, who assumes the position of Chairman and CEO, H. D. Smith Holding Company. “Operational excellence, with an eye on big-picture healthcare trends, enables us to take full advantage of our 60-year heritage and granular customer knowledge.”
Title and authority changes take effect immediately, and include the following:
- Dale Smith will now serve as the chairman and CEO of H. D. Smith Holding Company – overseeing progress for all H. D. Smith business units, including wholesale distribution and specialty solutions. Strategic in focus with oversight for all executive committee functions, this position marshals company resources toward its strategic intent to be the leader in controlling healthcare costs while maximizing patient outcomes. Smith previously served as chairman and CEO of H. D. Smith, LLC.
- Chris Smith, who served as president and chief operating officer for H. D. Smith is now its president and CEO, with executive responsibility for H. D. Smith’s wholesale distribution business unit as well as the functional areas of information technology, human resources and finance, which support the entire company.
- Bob Appleby, previously senior vice president of category management, has been named president of H. D. Smith specialty solutions, which includes subsidiaries Smith Medical Partners and Triplefin. Transitioning into this role, he will be responsible for managing one of the company’s fastest growing business units, as the nation seeks to shift health delivery closer to patients.
- Joe Conda joins the Office of the Chairman as executive vice president to focus on expanding upon the company’s long-term vision to be an integrated provider of health products, solutions and services, a role that includes acquisitions and alliances. He was previously president of H. D. Smith specialty solutions.
“Sustainable success and growth require focus on our existing businesses, plus an unwavering commitment to secure our competitive standing tomorrow,” said Chris Smith, president and CEO, H. D. Smith. “Our dedicated people are an H. D. Smith competitive strength, and the reason we continue to achieve success and increased customer value. The leadership and structure changes announced today will enable us to focus on growth, while continuing to address evolving customer needs and deliver an extraordinary customer experience.”
About H. D. Smith
H. D. Smith is the largest, privately held national wholesaler, with a complete line of healthcare products and solutions to improve patient care. The company creates value and an extraordinary customer experience by impacting the healthcare supply chain. Bridging the gap between manufacturer and patient, H. D. Smith’s specialty solutions division offers a unique suite of strategic programs for patient access on behalf of pharmaceutical suppliers. Headquartered in Springfield, Illinois, H. D. Smith also operates CompleteCare Pharmacy, Smith Medical Partners, Triplefin and Valley Wholesale Drug.
- Fill out the Become a Customer form
- An H. D. Smith sales representative will be in contact shortly